My blog. My class.

March 03, 2006

Park Life Pictures

Lo and behold, besides buildings and malls that Singapore can offer, there are parks that visitors can visit and explore peacefully nature at its best. And one of them is Fort Canning Park. They say this is the most historical part of Singapore, based from the multiple old structures I discovered here.

An entrance to Fort Canning Park

Oh, halu. I made my entrance to the park via this stairway route. It was not a steep climb. I assure you.

The fort gate

A historical fort gate. Resembles that of the Fort Santiago stone structures we have back in the Philippines.

A big, old tree. Would you like me to describe the texture of its bark?

One of many huge trees lining up every path one walks inside the park. Good thing these living things provided some shade amidst the humid and hot weather that day.

Battle box with a mannequin soldier

I discovered this underground construction. I did not go inside for I was intervened by a caretaker. I told him if I could take some pictures. He answered no. I noticed from a sign nearby that I need to purchase some ticket to go inside. When the caretaker walked away, I took this shot from afar (well just outside, not inside of course; I could have focused more on that soldier's pose). Then I scrambled away (pasaway).

Cupola structures

I just liked taking some pictures of these small stone structures.

Lonely graveyard and tombstones

Here, I thought I was taking some pictures of some ASEAN sculptures (my reference was in the brochure's map I was carrying). Upon close inspection, these were tomb stones of some Singapore leaders.

Weird sculpture

Now this is one of the weirdest sculpture I have noticed in the park's ASEAN scultpure garden.

Wedding venue sign

I guess, based from the sign, this park is a favorite venue for garden weddings. Minus of course the spot where the graveyard lies.

Chijmes structure

A few blocks from Fort Canning Park, I stumbled across this old church building that was transformed into a congregation of restaurants, bars and multitudes of small shops inside. Oh, this was named Chijmes (pronounce it as "Chimes"). Don't ask me why the spelling? Wrong spelling wrong.

Stained glass inside Chijmes

A stained glass inside Chijmes. Well, what else would I talk about it?

A restaurant or pub inside Chijmes

One of the restaurant's inside Chijmes - Hog's Breath. Nice name. Reminds me of Hogsworth from Harry Potter. Specialties? I guess pig dishes. I never passed by it nor entered the restaurant; just took a picture from afar.

4 comments:

rmacapobre said...

how long was singapore under english rule?

jio said...

I learned that Hog's Breath Cafe is actually a steakhouse. Me thinks I'll visit and have one of their specialties maybe soon.

jio said...

Max,

From my research (ehem, I had to search Google), Singapore had been under British rule from 1819 to 1946. Well, that's what I have learned so far.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm no historian :-P

Sugar Ashley said...

it's spelled as CHIJMES coz it was previously a school, called Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus(CHIJ). So when the school moved out, they didn't want to remove the name & loose its heritage. Instead they added to it, and it became CHIJMES!

About Me

My photo
Known to be the webmaster of the defunct Taym Matsing website (well, that's old news now...)